Thursday 2 July 2020

Hollow



"I was 17 and still playing the tiny Guyatone.
I also had a Burns Jazz solid guitar but stuck
with the Antoria guitar on this occasion."

— Steve Howe, All My Yesterdays 
(Omnibus Press, 2020, page 24)


Steve ought to fast forward back and recall that the 
Antoria was to become his first solid electric guitar; 
prior to which it had been mine for years. I loaned
it to Yoss when I was saxophonist in his band, before
he had in his possession a Gibson Les Paul Special.

Eventually, Steve acquired this guitar from me.
I am holding it in the picture of us together at 
the top of the page. He is holding his first guitar.

"Then there was Yosel [sic], who played a Gibson 
Les Paul Special, a great rock guitar if ever there 
was one. I used to watch him play at a youth club 
in Islington and would hang out at his place in 
Holloway, trying to pick anything up from him
that I could. He gave me a bit of an insight into
being a rock guitarist, for sure."

— Steve Howe, All My Yesterdays 
(Omnibus Press, 2020, page 24)

Absent is the fact that I played tenor saxophone 
alongside Yoss, when Steve stood at the front of the
stage and to one side, as we performed at full
blast before a jiving young audience at the scout
hall on Holloway Road (it was not a youth club).
The scout hall was loaned for Saturday night hops.
I had been Steve's best chum since junior school, 
and still was at the time he watched us perform.

Steve passes over mention of me as his friend 
with whom together we discovered Bill Haley,
Little Richard, Duane Eddy, The Shadows, etc

"We once entered a disused cinema and played
various games amid the dust and dead pigeons.
It got kind of scary and I eventually escaped
through a door that led nowhere, unless you 
could scale 10-feet walls topped with broken 
glass. As this was the only way out, that's what
I did. I just went at it, commando style, and
straddled the walls with my hands and feet,
then leaped down the other side to freedom."

— Steve Howe, All My Yesterdays 
(Omnibus Press, 2020, page 12)

In the context of how his account appears in the
autobiography one imagines he is still at junior
school. He follows the paragraph with the words:
"By the time I was 10 years old." But he was at
least three or so years older than that. I ought
to know because I was present during that eerie
incident at the Marlborough Theatre, as were a 
group of others whom I identify by name, along
with Steve, of course, in a concise guide on the
malign supernatural that was published in 1997. 


Roy (not present at the Marlborough Theatre incident), 
Michael, Dennis, and Steve (all of whom were present), 
in Widdenham Road outside where Steve lived. I was 
taking the photograph. This is how old Steve looked at
the time he entered the haunted Marlborough Theatre


The Marlborough Theatre as it appeared at the
time Steve Howe and a group of others, myself
included, entered the building to explore. Steve
was terrified by the experience, and took a very
long time to recover from it. Though he mentions
being there, he makes no mention of anyone else
who accompanied him (in his new autobiography).

________________________________________________________________________________

My old pal Yoss died two and a half months ago. He had been seriously ill for a significant amount of time, and his eldest son, Jonny, kept me updated until he finally gave up the ghost on 19 April 2020. I had known him as long as I had known Steve, and we managed to keep in touch for most of that time. I have painted Yoss, oil on canvas, twice; the first time depicting his early years, the second time very shortly after his death, depicting his late years. I also wrote and dedicated a eulogy in verse for Yoss.

Below is a picture of Yoss — sometimes called Yossel  and me during a rehearsal in the 1960s.


Below is an early picture I took of Steve at Loraine Mansions with my box camera in the 1950s.



Yet, despite that fact, I am not mentioned once in his autobiography.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Echoes of the Studio